Oct 28, 2014

Our Procrastination, God’s Perfect Timing

    
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”  (Romans 8:28, NIV, emphasis mine)

Even procrastination.


This morning, the Lord woke me up at 4AM, at my request, so I could have time with Him. Instead of reading the Bible or praying, I lamented my current state of affairs, so to speak. I need to be writing more. I waste too much time. I’m not kind and loving to my parents and my husband. I’m not working yet. I felt disconnected…and confused…and ready to quit just about everything.

Ever been there?

On top of that, I procrastinate. I often let the urgent rule my life, putting off what is important but not needed RIGHT NOW for what is screaming for my attention THIS MINUTE. (See Tyranny of the Urgent)  I know this adds to the mess, yet I habitually get stuck in this same rut.

Can you relate – any fellow procrastinators out there?

Then the deadline hits, as it did this morning. I have a critique group meeting tonight, and hadn’t yet read the submissions. Now this task became the next urgent thing, so I read them. When I did, my jaw dropped and tears flowed. 


All the submissions spoke encouragement to me, and fueled my passion to keep writing. Two of them hit me exactly where I am this morning, at this moment. The writers put into words what I’ve been feeling, and showed me I’m not alone.

I read them at exactly the right time. 


My procrastination was really God’s perfect timing.

Now, OK, that’s not always true. Sometimes my procrastination causes me to miss God’s perfect timing. But more often than not, what I think of as a delay or botched plan is really the Lord stepping in with His guidance.

A person’s steps are directed by the Lord. 
How then can anyone understand their own way?
(Proverbs 20:24, NIV)


The Lord reminded me of four things today:
  1. I don’t have to understand my own way. I just need to trust and obey the One Who does. Rest in my soul, cast my cares.
  2. God is here, listening, and He’ll answer with what I need, when I need it. His lack of answer doesn’t mean He’s not there or doesn’t care. If I don't get a direct answer, by faith I need to keep going and do the next thing.
  3. I have an arch enemy who wants to drag me into the weeds with lies, condemnation, and accusations. I allow myself to be captured way too much!
  4. God is humongously bigger than my flesh, my procrastination, and anything about me. And He’s even more humongously bigger than my enemy.


I’m now ready to start my day with passion and determination, full of the peace that passes all understanding.



Thank you, Jesus, for always meeting me right where I am…and for helping me make the time to seek You!




TODAY’S CHALLENGE: Has the enemy deceived you and led you off the path? Reach up to God, and do the next thing. He is there, always.

If God spoke to you through this post, I’d love to hear your comments!

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, Mary -- JUST what I needed to read this morning (as I stop berating myself over a couple of lax days decompressing from the Allume conference)! I'm with you -- sometimes my procrastination is just that -- MINE. But I'm learning the ebb and flow of allowing myself time to rest and do other things so I can go back to writing with a renewed zeal.

    It was so great "seeing" you last night. Praying for you and our WW friends today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's always great to spend time with you. We still have a hike to plan...next month :-).

      I keep trying to fit myself into a mold that doesn't fit instead of looking to Jesus. That seems to be a recurring theme for me...but I'm making progress.

      Thank you for your comment, and have a blessed week!

      Delete

Thank you for your G-rated comments!