Oct 24, 2014

Rise Up! And When You Can't, Call for Help

Last weekend I attended a wonderful retreat of love. Jesus’ love. Poured over me through His daughters who embraced me, loved me, laughed with me, and prayed with me. 

I rested and basked in the quiet of the tomb all week (spiritually), just sitting with Jesus. No Bible reading, not much praying, just sitting. I’m still processing all the Lord changed and healed in me.

This morning, I decided it was time to rise up, move ahead, and write.

Yet I couldn’t muster up any strength to do anything, even pray and read the Bible. My mind felt foggy, confused over what to do next, and numb. Knowing we have an enemy, I wondered if he was blocking my way. I definitely felt burdened and weak.

But, maybe it just not time to rise up yet, and God wanted me to continue to rest?

The more I tried to pray and read my Bible, the worse it got. My brain was mush, my spirit heavy. Whose hand was holding me down? 

Do I press through, or give up?

I realized I was getting nowhere and needed help. 

So I sent a quick text to a very dear prayer warrior friend, and asked her to pray. I desperately wanted to hear God and obey Him. I had no discernment, no clarity – only confusion.

After sending the text, I decided to continue reading in Matthew where I left off last week, whether or not I felt like it. 

As I read, the words penetrated my spirit and the numbness faded. I wrote down what the Lord spoke to me about the passage. Then I prayed scripture prayers. With a clear mind and renewed energy, I mentally mapped out my day.

Then I looked at my phone. My friend received the text when I sent it, and responded simply, “Praying!”

Wow! Her prayers, joined with my prayers for God’s direction, defeated the enemy when I could not do it alone. When I chose to do the next thing in front of me, read the Bible, God met me right where I was.


“Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”  (Matthew 18:18-20 NIV, emphasis mine)

You don’t have to fight alone…pray alone…live alone. 

Call on a friend, a pastor, a neighbor, a church member, or family for help.


Then rise up and do the next thing.

TODAY’S CHALLENGE: As you read this, what struggle or burden came to mind where you need to ask for help? Send that text, make that call.

If this post blessed you today, I’d love to hear your comments!


2 comments:

  1. What a great example of the power of prayer. So glad you pressed through and asked for prayer for I have been so encouraged by this post! I want to hear more about your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginger! Yes, it's a lesson for which I need frequent reminders. The Lord is faithful to give me opportunity :-). And yes, let's plan to meet soon for coffee. I'd love to catch up face to face

      Delete

Thank you for your G-rated comments!