Oct 13, 2014

A Detour and Belonging


Ever had Dorothy moments? You know, the moment when she clicked her heels together and discovered she already had what she so desperately sought…but was seeking in the wrong place?


Me too – yesterday!
I went on a weekend retreat with a few friends, seeking God about belonging. Once again, I struggled with trying to “fit in” as a writer…which, to me, means being recognized, accepted and praised by popular writing communities. 

Saturday, God spoke to me quite clearly from Galatians 1:15-16 (paraphrased).

I set you apart from your mother’s womb, revealing Jesus in you so you can preach about Him. You don’t need to consult any human being for affirmation, acceptance, or approval.

In other words, ”Trust Me, and just be yourself.”  

Refreshed, I was ready to get home, write Monday’s blog, and prepare for the week.

But God wasn’t done with me yet.
Thirty minutes into my trip home, God sent me on a detour. He knew I needed more.



As I drove through the small town of Lawrenceville, I noticed several groups of dressed up people walking into a church. The sign advertised a service starting at 11:30, and it was just about that time.

made it a block further before I got “the nudge”: Go back!
I turned around, pulled into the now full parking lot, and hesitated. With a boost of encouragement from a joyful woman, Annette, I parked, grabbed my Bible, and headed inside.

Despite being the only white person in the church, plus woefully under-dressed in my t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers, I experienced an incredible sense of belonging. Everyone warmly greeted me, and welcomed me to their celebration. 

We worshiped in song, giving, and hearing the Word from Pastor Thornhill. His inspirational message complemented what the Lord showed me over the weekend.

You have a story to tell that is part of My story. You need to own your story and share it; it has purpose and power. Don’t allow anyone else to control or author your story.

God used people at a small church in Virginia, people who didn’t pay any mind to my outside, to demonstrate that I already belong because of Jesus. They lived the verse we all quote but struggle to live:

Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart (1 Samuel 16:7).

Like Dorothy, I was seeking belonging in the wrong place – I sought to obtain from man what can only come from the Lord.


Like Dorothy, I realized I already possessed the belonging I sought, because Jesus is in my heart, and I am His. I belong to the Family of God.


I need to write from that belonging; it is impossible to write to obtain it.

Thankful for the detour, and that I chose to follow it, I continued my journey home...pondering in my heart all the Lord showed me.

TODAY'S CHALLENGE: Where are you struggling to "fit in" instead of sharing as "you", from your heart, as God created you? Please comment, I'd love to hear how God spoke to you through this message!

If you don't yet belong to the Family of God, or you're not sure, check out my Most Important Choice page. Everyone is welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing how we bring our identify struggles into whatever we're passionate about? I know this struggle well. I love that God spoke to you in such special ways. Aren't you glad you recognized that Holy nudge?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your G-rated comments!