Sep 24, 2015

Lesson From a Cholecystectomy

A few weeks ago I had my gallbladder removed…aka, a cholecystectomy.  Surprise! One day it just decided it no longer wanted to be in my body and revolted, enflaming my pancreas in the process. I was all too happy to be rid of it, for sure.

My hospital stay lasted for 4 days – one before surgery and three after surgery because of the pancreatitis. One thing they generally require before you leave the hospital is a bowel movement so they know all systems are go, so to speak.


In my case, that just wasn’t happening. A few times a day I’d ask the nurses about it.

“I still haven’t gone yet, is that OK?”
“Are you passing gas?”
“No.”
“Are you having stomach cramps?”
“No.”
“Don’t worry, it sometimes takes a while, you’re OK.”

On the third day I finally answered “yes” to their question about the gas, and they continued to assure me I was fine.

“Even though I still can’t go?”
“Yes, as long as you are passing gas and don’t have stomach cramps, you’re fine.”

I asked the doctor the day he discharged me, and his response was equally confident: I was fine, don’t worry, when you start eating more regularly it will come.

OK, well, it didn’t seem right to me because I have always been regular, but I guess they’re the experts. Their confident and consistent responses inspired me and built my confidence in them.

I decided to trust them.

So you know where this is going now?

Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
    don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
    he’s the one who will keep you on track. 
(Proverbs 3:5-6, MSG)

I have the Creator of the universe, the Almighty God, omnipotent and omniscient, as my Father. He gave me an instruction manual, the Bible, full of promises, encouragement, testimonies of His faithfulness and love, and instructions for how to live a life that pleases Him and keeps me safe. His Word is full of hope, inspiration, and consistency from front to back. 

And yet I doubt. I wonder where God is when I don’t see answers to prayers. I ask Him, “Are you sure?” when He asks me to do something I don’t understand…and when He answers with “Yes” I still question. I doubt His forgiveness when I sin and confess. I doubt His goodness when hurtful things happen to me.

Lord, forgive me for times I’ve doubted You, and help me to trust You more. Thank you for your faithfulness, forgiveness, grace, and mercy. I declare you are a good God, and that I am loved and forgiven. Thank you for the good plans you have for me.

And thank you for my lesson from a cholecystectomy.



Where are you not trusting God right now? Pray and ask for His forgiveness for doubting. Ask Him for strength and wisdom in that area. Choose to receive, and go forward boldly. Don’t let the enemy steal your joy.

3 comments:

  1. So you never told us - was it a good idea to trust them or not? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're recovering well. Amazing how that kind of thing can pop up, seemingly out of the blue. So glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, ladies!! Yes, it was ok to trust them...things moved along as they should in their own time :-). And yes, I'm doing so well I am continually thanking God for all He is to me. More blogs coming....
    Miss you both...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your G-rated comments!