Oct 7, 2015

Be A Torch

One morning the Lord spoke to me about shining my light for Him. The phrase “carry your torch” came to mind. I pictured me holding up a brightly flaming torch, and talking about Jesus to all who would listen.

Yes, I want everyone to know my Jesus!

I am blessed to be His – to be called His child and to be loved by Him. When talking to people, I want to share about all He’s done for me. I want to lift His name HIGH and shine His light for all to see. I want to bring Him into every conversation; He is the source of all that is good.

All that is OK, but that’s not what He meant.

He wants me to be a torch.

He wants Jesus – the light of the world – to be so infused in me that my life shines with kindness in a self-centered and angry world. He wants me to:
  • forgive those who hurt me…not ignore them or hold a grudge
  • be a peacemaker…not take sides
  • speak positively about everyone…not gossip
  • build others up…not promote myself
  • speak gently when confronted…not get angry
  • be kind and respectful to all…not only to those who are kind and respectful to me
  • give compliments generously...not hold back until they are earned

Jesus wants me to be a torch in…
…thought
Finally, believers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable and worthy of respect, whatever is right and confirmed by God’s word, whatever is pure and wholesome, whatever is lovely and brings peace, whatever is admirable and of good repute; if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think continually on these things [center your mind on them, and implant them in your heart]. (Philippians 4:8, AMP)
…word
Do not let unwholesome [foul, profane, worthless, vulgar] words ever come out of your mouth, but only such speech as is good for building up others, according to the need and the occasion, so that it will be a blessing to those who hear [you speak]. (Ephesians 4:29, AMP)
…and deed
The things which you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things [in daily life], and the God [who is the source] of peace and well-being will be with you. (Philippians 4:9, AMP)

As I pondered these things, God reminded me about something Graham Cooke said once at a conference: God is the kindest person I know. His life reflected what he knew to be true of his God - Graham is one of the kindest people I have ever met. Listening to him speak invited me into the restful presence of God.


I also remembered that it's God's kindness that leads to repentance. I thought about the many times my own heart has been broken and humbled by God - or someone else - treating me in a way I didn't deserve.

That's what be a torch means: shine with the kindness of Jesus. And that means to press into God to learn more about His infinite kindness. 

Will you pray with me?

Jesus, thank you for this convicting yet kind reminder of my need for you, and my purpose. Fill me to overflowing with Your kindness today. I invite You to burn off everything that is in the way – all that is covering Your light in my life. I declare I have the mind of Christ, and I am wearing the helmet of salvation. Put a guard on my mouth that I might not sin against you. Send me where you need me today. I am willing.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! There is too much darkeness in the world that even a flicker of light can have so much intensity. I intend to shine, constantly as a true representative of Love Himself. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! There is too much darkeness in the world that even a flicker of light can have so much intensity. I intend to shine, constantly as a true representative of Love Himself. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise words, Mary, and convicting ones. I love Graham Cooke's quote. Not only does Jesus light my heart and soul, He desires to shine through me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your G-rated comments!