Dec 5, 2014

Fitness Friday: Hungry for God…Starving for Time

This week, I’d like to introduce you to Lori Hatcher, one of my talented Christian Communicator Conference (CCC) sisters. Lori is a gifted author, speaker, blogger, and editor. We share a passion for encouraging others to become more spiritually fit by investing in their relationship with God.

In the past, Lori struggled with how to make that happen in the midst of homeschooling her children, being a pastor’s wife, ministry, and working as a health care professional. Out of her struggles, God birthed the 31 devotionals she shares in her new book, “Hungry for God . . . Starving forTime, 5-Minute Devotions for Busy Women”:   

You want to connect with God, but in the craziness of life, it’s just not happening. Between the demands of work, relationships, activities, and everything else that crowds your days, you’re hungry for God, but starving for time. You want practical, biblical answers to situations you face every day, but you don’t have hours to pore over Scripture. You need a resource that answers the questions you’re afraid to ask out loud. 

Questions like:

• Is my situation hopeless?
• If God already knows what he’s going to do, why bother to pray?
• Why have you allowed this to happen to me?
• No one appreciates what I do. Why shouldn’t I quit?

Each devotion begins with a Facetime question and ends with a biblical answer wrapped in a modern day parable. Like a spiritual power bar, Hungry for God … Starving for Time is packed with enough scriptural nutrition to get you through the day.

Wherever you are—in break rooms, carpool lines, or wherever you can snatch five minutes of quiet reflection—Hungry for God … Starving for Time, 5-Minute Devotions for Busy Women is for you.

Here's an excerpt from one of my favorite chapters, titled, “Habits of the Rich”.

My daughter’s swim coach always says, “Practice doesn’t make perfect; practice makes permanent.”

I’d like the habit of prayer to become so permanent in my life that it’s the first thing I think of instead of the last. I’d like the habit of serving to become so permanent in my life that I volunteer spontaneously instead of needing to be asked. I’d like the habit of speaking words of affirmation to become so permanent that I no longer have to remind myself to build people up instead of tearing them down. Establishing these habits will make me rich spiritually, allowing me to store up a treasure of good works that will bring God glory.


Until these practices become permanent, however, I must intentionally discipline myself. All day long I face choices about how to spend my time, energy, and money. Every time I say yes to what God wants for me, and no to what my selfish nature desires, I am one step closer to building a permanent habit. And even after I establish my habits, I must remain diligent because, as the apostle Paul shared with agonizing transparency, what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do (Romans 7:15). I’m thankful that as I yield myself to God, he will empower me.

Do you want to be rich spiritually? Begin by building godly habits.

If you struggle to find time for God, but you want to enjoy a more intimate and fulfilling relationship with him, check out Lori’s book on Amazon.com. You’ll also find Lori pondering the marvelous and the mundane on her blog, Hungry for God … Starving for Time.

As part of the book launch, Lori is also giving away a free Kindle Fire HD 7" loaded with 10 Christian eBooks. Enter here to win (need email or Facebook account).

TODAY’S CHALLENGE: Accept Lori’s challenge to begin investing just 5 minutes wherever you can find them into your relationship with God. If you’re not sure how or where to start, invest in her book, Hungry for God…Starving for Time, available on Amazon.com.


2 comments:

  1. Mary,
    Thank you so much for introducing me to your sweet community of readers. I pray God's blessings on you this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to, Lori - it's a book worth celebrating. You too, have a very blessed Christmas!

      Delete

Thank you for your G-rated comments!