Sep 23, 2013

MultiColor Monday: Who Am I?

Isn’t it amazing that with a limited number of features – eyes, nose, ears, mouth, skin color, and hair color – we all look different?

And if we all look different by God’s design, wouldn’t He also want us to be different in personality, likes, dislikes, and gifts?

Then why do we spend so much time trying to act/dress/look/BE like someone else?

For me, it’s because I want to belong…I want to “fit in”…I want to be accepted. It’s been a lifelong struggle to stop comparing myself to others to see how well we “match up”…and then emphasizing in word and action what I figure makes me acceptable while hiding what I think might get me rejected.  You know, wearing the mask.

Now I’m in an amazing season of discovery and adventure. Who am I? Who did God create me to be? What does He have for me to do that no one else can do?

Answer: Be the absolutely, positively BEST “me” that I can be!

And He’s encouraging me and giving me courage and strength (wow, isn’t that what encouragement does – give us courage?) to do just that through very diverse and “different” people. 

A few weeks ago, I wrote about an awesome group of women I met at the Christian Communicators Conference (see blog post at MultiColor Monday: This Past Weekend).

Then two weeks later, I received the follow-up, reinforcing message at the Joyce Meyer 2013 Love Life women’s conference in St. Louis. And the message was delivered in three unique ways by three different and uniquely gifted teachers. Here are short video clips from what they shared at the conference:

In Philippians 2:2 (emphasis mine), Paul encourages us to make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.”  He doesn’t say we are to do everything in the same way, but that we are to be like-minded, like-spirited, and have the same love. It’s not about the outside and how we express the love, but about who we are on the inside.

I thank God for the unique, MultiColored, Philippians 2:2 people He’s brought into my life over the years to be Jesus to me: to love me, accept me, speak truth to me, correct me, and encourage me.

So who am I?

Someone who is slowly removing her mask to become one of the unique, MultiColored, Philippians 2:2 people...learning to embrace and fully live out who God has called me to be: ME! 

It's scary at times, but it's also the adventure of a life-time! 

TODAY’S CHALLENGE:  Ask the Lord to reveal something about you that He wants you to embrace and celebrate today. Continue in your very own God-adventure!

2 comments:

  1. I just read another friend's post about embracing our uniqueness. It wasn't until I turned 40 that I felt a real peace about that. I spent too many years trying to be good at things I wasn't gifted at. Finally I accepted the fact that God hadn't called me to do a dozen different things, and I began to embrace and rejoice (!) in the things I was called and empowered to do.

    Great post, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reached that point 10 years earlier than I did - I was 50....and still counting :-). In fact, i have a post coming today about how comical life can be.
      Thank you for your comment, Susan - see you next week!

      Delete

Thank you for your G-rated comments!