May 20, 2015

Expect the Impossible

Today I read a much-loved Bible story about Jesus walking on the water.  

Today the Lord opened my eyes to a new revelation from this familiar story. 


Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” 
“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”(Matthew 14:25-28, NIV)
 
Why didn't the disciples recognize Jesus? They just saw Him the day before, and knew Him well. Did they really forget what He looked like?   

Of course not. And yet they didn't know Him. Here's what the Lord revealed to me today. 
  • Jesus came to them in a way that was humanly impossible.
  • They were not expecting Him.
  • So instead of recognizing Him, they feared Him.
  • Even when He identified Himself, Peter (and probably the others) still had doubts.

Lord, where have I missed you? 
 
Help me to expect the impossible, and to never fear You.
 
I'm pondering this new revelation today. Please join me!

4 comments:

  1. This addresses an often overlooked component of the story. Thank you for the fresh outlook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love it when the Lord reveals something new about an old story. The Word is living and active, indeed! Thank you for commenting, Tina!

      Delete
  2. He came in a way that was humanly impossible. Mary, thanks for reminding me to look for the unexpected. I tend to look for God to work in ways I recognize. Blessings! ~a new friend from Consillium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Carmen, me too! Sometimes I find I'm not looking for *Him* as much as I'm looking for an answer...from anywhere :-).
      Thank you for commenting, and welcome!

      Delete

Thank you for your G-rated comments!