Aug 24, 2020

Monday Motivation: Conquering Fear

Last week Don and I went to Cades Cove, Tennessee to camp out and go hiking. We chose a hike that looked challenging but not overwhelming.

What I didn’t know about the hike is that we had to cross a stream by rock-stepping, right at the very beginning. Last time I attempted that, my shoes slipped off the rocks and were soaked for the rest of the hike. So I did what anyone else would do in my position: I burst into tears.

I can’t do this!”

Don patiently waited for me to decide what I wanted to do – try to cross or go the long way around. I watched him go across, then back to me, then upstream a little to cross at an easier place. Don crossed easily, and he had confidence that I could also cross.

“OK, I can do this…I think.”

Holding Don’s hand, I slowly crossed the stream as he led me, one rock at a time.

“I DID IT!”

Whew, OK, let’s get on with the hike.

I pondered the whole fear thing and how moving forward despite the fear gave me victory. We often fear what we don’t know, or the worst that could happen. In my case, it was falling and getting wet or getting hurt. I still felt afraid but crossed anyway.

Had I let my fear stop me, I would have missed out on a wonderful day of hiking!


Today I had Don to help me conquer my fear – he believed I could do it and his confidence gave me strength.

There is Another who is always there for us. God promises to never leave us or forsake us; He gives us the courage and strength to overcome our fears.

What do you fear right now that is stopping you from moving forward? Ask for help if you need it and resolve to move forward one step at a time! 

So do not fear, for I am with you;

do not be dismayed, for I am your God.

I will strengthen you and help you;

I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

(Isaiah 41:10)

1 comment:

Thank you for your G-rated comments!