Jul 13, 2020

Monday Motivation: Second Guessing


As I sat on hold waiting to cancel my satellite internet, I thought back to the tech that came out only a few weeks ago to troubleshoot and fix the intermittent drop issues. I felt bad because he had to get up on the roof, which is not easy on this house, and it really shook him up. He said ours was his last roof.

And after all that, we cancelled.

I pondered why I felt guilty. After all, I didn’t know we were going to cancel when I called for service. I hoped to get it fixed, but turns out the problem was a tree in the way. Not worth cutting it down. I guess I felt responsible for having him go up on the roof when it counted for nothing in the end. I kept second guessing my decision to call for service in the first place.

But God.

A sudden thought interrupted my pointless pondering. What if the technician needed to be off the roof and had felt that for a while? What if our job was exactly what he needed to give him a push in that right direction? Only God knows.

We often judge our actions by the results (or lack of). God reminded me that we only need to obey when He speaks, do the best we can when no specific direction is given, and leave the results to him. We don’t need to figure it all out, OR second guess our decisions after the fact.


And even if we get something wrong, He is there to work all together for our good. We can always trust God with what we can’t see and don’t know, and be at peace. Because all is in His most capable hands…including our lives.

Thank you, God, I needed this reminder today. You are awesome and amazing!

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, 
so are My ways higher than your ways 
and My thoughts higher than your thoughts. 
(Isaiah 55:9, AMP)

When have you second-guessed yourself when things didn’t turn out as expected? Any second-guessing going on right now? Pray and ask God to help you let go. He’s faithful, He will.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mary, for this encouragement to not second guess the actions we take when we have surrendered to God and are allowing Him into the everyday moments of our lives. How many times we may be walking His path toward more eternal results -- for not only us, but others. I started to second-guess my decision (and my husband's) to lead a women's Bible study this week, but then God caused the registration to come in with overwhelming numbers. That is a God-thing. And He is SO good to let us know, every once in a while, that we are doing what HE wants us to do. Thanks again for this encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, God is gracious to confirm us in lavish ways that we can't mistake. He doesn't always give us the warm fuzzies for the decision, but rather the assurance on the back end once we step out in faith.
      Thank you for your comment!

      Delete

Thank you for your G-rated comments!