Mar 13, 2015

Fitness Friday: Hand It Over

This past Monday, Don and I were on our way home from a fun weekend in Raleigh. Our nieces were in a play - starring roles - and we sat on the front row, chests puffed out and tears in our eyes as we watched their performances.

But I almost missed out on the enjoyment. 

The day before the play I received an email that temporarily knocked me down a little. It shouldn't have, but it did. I had confusing and busy dreams, and wrestled with what to *do*. The next day I replied with an email that was totally a knee-jerk reaction.

I pondered. What can I *do* to change the situation? It wasn't even about me, but I felt responsible. I thought back over conversations...I should have said this, I shouldn't have said that. Like anything I *said* could have changed the outcome.

Why is it we think we are so powerful, and so important, that everyone else should do what we think they should do?

I prayed for help, and God enabled me to set my pondering aside long enough to enjoy the play and dinner with my family. The next morning, my busy mind kicked into gear again as we started down the road toward home.



Frustrated, I uncurled my fingers from the steering wheel and prayed, "Jesus, take the wheel. I don't want to be in control of anything: my life, my writing, my marriage, anyone or anything else. Please take it!"
Whoosh! 


The presence of the Lord engulfed me in a peaceful sea of warmth and security. Wow! I basked in His glory, thanking Him and praising Him for His amazing gift to me. I didn't do anything to deserve it, I only needed to receive. And receive, I did!



Growing spiritually takes effort - disciplined, intentional effort. We need good habits like praying, studying the Bible, and gathering together regularly with other believers.

But sometimes, we just need to let everything go - hand it over - and rest. One of the highest honors we can give God is to say, "I trust You, here, take this. You know best."



That's what exercising our faith is all about.

Question to Ponder: What are you holding on to that you need to give to God? Exercise your faith and hand it over!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your G-rated comments!