Nov 14, 2014

Nip It in the Bud

Recently, Don and I left around 6:45AM to visit my nephew at 9AM. We were running late, again, despite leaving on time. Pokey drivers and school busses slowed us down. If only we would have left early as planned. I so hate being late!

As we drove, I found myself entertaining judgmental thoughts about friends and family. The longer we drove, the worse my thoughts became.

“I can’t believe he still struggles with that. If he would just ____________, he wouldn’t have that problem.”

“Why does she have to be so negative all the time?”



WAIT.


Are those two things related? Anger at myself for being late, and judging others?

I prayed, and the Lord answered: YES!


Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:8, NIV)

I was not alert to how the enemy led me into anger, one thought at a time.

We’re running late, again! I thought for sure we left enough time.

I knew we should have left at 6:30. My fault we didn’t.

I hate it when I mess up like this. I know better.

But hey, look at what all these other people do wrong.

I’m not the only one who can’t get it right…at least I ­­­­­­­­­­­­__________.


The enemy came in like a flood, and I allowed myself to be swept away. I didn't nip it in the bud. Instead of accepting my humanness in being late, and letting go after the second thought, I subconsciously tried to justify myself by comparison to others. I turned my anger outward to make myself feel better.

It didn’t work.

I became angry at others and at myself…and took it out on my innocent passenger. It felt awful to be angry for no real reason, and to hurt someone I love in the midst of it.

Armed with the Lord’s revelation, I chose to change my thinking. I raised up the Lord’s standard against my enemy (Isaiah 59:19).

I'm sorry, Lord, for my anger and judgment. Thank you that you love me. I am human, and I accept myself as-is. I am lovable. When I make a mistake, you kindly forgive me. I need your love, I need YOU. And I love my family, my friends. I love __________. Bless them, Lord, and help them with their struggles.

Within a few minutes of praying these type of prayers, my anger turned to peace. And I enjoyed the rest of my day.


Next time, I'll nip it in the bud. Thank you, Lord, for the “next times!”

TODAY’S CHALLENGE: Do you take out anger at yourself on those around you? Are there other ways the enemy leads your thoughts astray? Ask the Lord for a fresh revelation in this area.

If God spoke to you through this post, please leave a comment…or share the link.

Thank you, and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your G-rated comments!