Sep 26, 2014

Freedom From Sin, Part 2: Staying Free

Do you need a breakthrough where you feel you’ve already had one, and regressed? That’s where I was (see Freedom from Sin Part 1), and realize now I can easily be there again (and again) unless I understand how it happened and make some changes.

After the Lord set me free (again), I pondered why I needed another breakthrough in the same area. I walked in freedom, loved others, and walked boldly forward wherever God called me to go.

Question: What led me back so deeply into fear of man?

Answer: Lack of focus on God and Who He is (see past blog on focus

Through too much attention to the words and actions of people, the enemy filled my heart and mind with doubt. Doubt about my value. Doubt about my place in God’s army. Doubt about my gifts and talents. Doubt about me.


When I doubt, I compare.

When I compare, I judge.

When I judge, I can't clearly hear God because I’m in sin.

When I can't clearly hear God, I get on the fear of man treadmill and wear myself out trying to do what pleases others.

Moreover, the sin of judging people opposes my calling (Micah 6:8). I can’t speak God’s exhortation and rebuke to people about their sin if I’m sinfully judging others. My words must come from a heart of love and compassion for people, not from anything in myself, for myself.

This is a sobering lesson: we are never “free forever” from any sin unless we focus on Jesus and refuse to walk in that sin any more. I took my eyes off Jesus, then became deceived by the enemy and slid back into an old sinful habit. It was so easy…and so destructive.


Thank you, Jesus, you never leave us broken if we are willing to change!

A breakthrough is just the beginning. It “resets” us spiritually, then we walk it out. We need to evaluate our lives, search our hearts, and make changes as the Lord leads. When we obey what we understand today, we gain increased understanding and freedom.

It’s exciting, and yet scary. When we fully follow God – no holds barred – not everyone will understand. Not everyone will accept. The enemy will not be happy, and will bombard us with lies.

“Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.”  (1 Peter 5:8-11, NIV)

What a promise! 

Thank you, Lord, for rescuing me from my sin once again. Thank you for all you taught me along the way, that I may be a blessing to others on this same path. Please use my words to bring life and healing. And help me stay on the path of freedom, fully available to do Your will.

In Jesus mighty name, AMEN!


TODAY’S CHALLENGE: Have you lapsed back into a sin area where you previously walked in freedom? No need to stay there. Look up to Jesus, repent, and He’ll set you back on your feet right now. God desires His Kingdom to be advanced…through you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your G-rated comments!