Aug 21, 2017

Praying for Unbelievers

Over the years, I've prayed for many people who don't know the Lord, for them to come to salvation. I've read books, attended conferences, and talked to others about how they pray.

  • Only pray for them to know the Lord; other prayers don't matter
  • Pray specific Bible verses over them
  • Pray specific prayers - use prayer models
  • Pray to bind the demonic spirits over their lives
  • Pray the blood of Jesus over them
All of these are true, all are valid. But none are guaranteed to "work". There isn't a formula - a one-size-fits-all prayer or method that will guarantee the outcome we seek: our loved one's salvation. One reason, of course, is that they have a choice in the matter called "free will." Another is that we don't always know what they really need, or what the stumbling block is to keep them from believing in Jesus.

As I sought the Lord recently on what verses to pray for a specific person who needs salvation, He gave me several verses that I would have only prayed for believers. I knew it was Him guiding me because of the peace in my heart.

Being the analytic, pondering person I am, I asked Him about it. He is SO gracious!

I see the beginning from the end - I am outside time. Anyone who will believe in me already does in my eyes.

So with renewed faith and new eyes, I am praying the verses the Lord gave me. For another person, I received a different set of verses from the Lord. For another, my prayer is much simpler. Just like all people are different with different needs - many we don't know about - prayers need to be tailored to fit each one.

And who knows best what they need? Their Creator, Father God!

We don't need to understand the prayers / verses we receive to pray for people. Don't have to, God knows. All we have to do is seek Him and follow - pray - where He leads.


Trust in and rely confidently on the Lord with all your heart
And do not rely on your own insight or understanding.
 
In all your ways know and acknowledge and recognize Him,
And He will make your paths straight and smooth [removing obstacles that block your way].

(Proverbs 3:5-6, AMP)

2 comments:

Thank you for your G-rated comments!