Jun 24, 2015

I Love My Hair

Yes, I love my hair. It's easy to style and stays where I put it (mostly). Today I had a bad cowlick issue going on, and with a little heat I had it fixed inside 30 seconds.

By contrast, I'm not too fond of my knees. They are veiny - the lovely little spider ones that seem to happen overnight - and knobby. Skinny little things.

But wait. That's the wrong way to look at them.

They function well. I've never had surgery, broken them, or damaged them in any way. I can run, do squats, sit comfortably in just about any position, and handle stairs easily with no pain.

OK, yes, I guess I love my knees, too.

I realize I can say "love" or "not so much" about any part of myself - my body, my personality, my voice. In fact, I have often said I'd like different hair - thicker and curlier. While I'm at it, maybe a new nose, flat stomach, bigger eyes, not so bold, and a more gentle voice.

But then I wouldn't be me.

For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well. (Psalm 139:13-14, NIV)


I can choose to focus on how God sees me or envy what He didn't give me. I can choose to be thankful for what I have or complain about what I don't have.


Life's short, people. Instead of grumbling about what you can't change, be thankful for who you are. When you appreciate yourself, warts and all, you'll find that you're much happier with and accepting of others. 

Then, and only then, can you truly love anyone...including yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your G-rated comments!