Apr 18, 2014

Celebrating Pain

Yes, you read the title correctly: celebrating pain.



Today I'm pondering Good Friday, and about what it cost Jesus to provide eternal life for us. I know He suffered beyond what words can describe - an immense pain we can't even begin to understand. 



And yet what I sense today when I picture Him on the cross is His joyful presence...and my own gratitude for what He did for me, and you, and all of us.

I wonder how God views this day? A few verses came to mind (all NIV):

- As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. (Psalm 103:12)

Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! (Isaiah 43:18-19a)

Pondering on, I thought about other painful events we commemorate...

  • Birthdays. "I remember the day you were born."
  • Surgery. "A year ago today, I had major surgery."
  • Trauma. "Five years ago today, I went through the most painful event in my life."

I can hear your wheels turning and see the shaking heads. And you're right. We don't celebrate the painful event itself, we celebrate...


  • The life of the person who was born.
  • Restored health.
  • The healing we experienced as we overcame. 



So today, on the commemorated anniversary of Jesus' violent death on the cross, we look at the end of the story.

And we celebrate!

Maybe that's why they call it Good Friday.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."  (John 3:16)

TODAY'S CHALLENGE: These are my ponderings, I'd love to hear your thoughts. And, Happy Resurrection Day!!













4 comments:

  1. Great post, Mary! Jesus was focused on the joy of being with His Father and the joy of eternity with us. I love Hebrews 12:2 - Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry, for your comment. Yes, we need to focus on the joy, for what we focus on will be magnified. Too often I focus on the pain in the here and now. I'm learning.....

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this message, Mary. There is no crown without a cross. There is no resurrection without a death. When we look back on our greatest triumphs in life, inevitably our biggest successes were preceded by great trials. Good job on reminding us that Jesus doesn't leave us in our pain, but brings us through to the other side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, David - and I've said the "no resurrection without death" to many people. Time to apply it to my own life LOL. Thank you for your comments!

      Delete

Thank you for your G-rated comments!