May 30, 2013

Wide Open Spaces

Psalm 119:45                        

AMP:  And I will walk at liberty and at ease, for I have sought and inquired for [and desperately required] Your precepts.  
MSG:  And I'll stride freely through wide open spaces as I look for your truth and your wisdom;

One morning, this verse grabbed my attention.  I had been struggling for a week or so with busyness and trying to get everything done, and almost flattened like a pancake by the burden and weight of what was NOT getting done.  In fact, I was up at 4AM with my thoughts having an Indy 500 race in my mind, seeing which one would win my attention.

Then I read this verse, and stopped short.  I realized I was NOT walking about in freedom or at ease.  My spaces were confined, not wide open spaces.  Yet I know I seek His precepts and His wisdom and His truth – these days I am talking to Him almost constantly.  So why am I still struggling so much?

The answer is in the short but powerful phrase “I will”.  Walking about in freedom is a choice – I have a right to "stride freely" just because I’m seeking His ways and His precepts.  Instead, I was choosing to focus on the issues and allowing them to “take over”.  I made the issues and problems bigger than my God.  I was consumed with the race instead of realizing I had the “yellow flag of caution” that could make all those thoughts slow down and get in order.
So today, I choose to walk about in freedom, in wide open spaces. 

Why? 

Because I seek the Lord, and He says I can.  So I will!   

Today's Challenge:  Is your life confined by circumstances or the words of others?  What can you do to gain your freedom?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your G-rated comments!