Jul 29, 2019

MultiColor Monday: Christian Music

Multicolor Monday: Sharing exhortation and inspiration from other members of the body of Christ, that we may all benefit from the gifts God has given them. (Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12)

Around 2AM this morning I woke up with a worship song playing gently in my mind. Busy and tumbling words about what my work day might be like and all I had to do threatened to overpower the song.

I had a choice on which volume to turn up, and which to mute.

As I focused on the words and "sang along" in my mind, the song's volume increased and crowded out the fretful words. I was able to go peacefully back to sleep.

These are the words I sang, from the chorus of Newsboys, Greatness of Our God:

In awesome wonder, He reigns forever
We know the greatness of our God
His pow'r is endless, He lives within us
We know the greatness of our God... (Whoa-oa-oa-oa)
The greatness of our God... (Whoa-oa-oa-oa)
The greatness of our God

Mixed in with that song was the chorus of Mosaic MSC, Tremble:

Jesus, Jesus, You make the darkness tremble
Jesus, Jesus, You silence fear
Jesus, Jesus, You make the darkness tremble
Jesus, Jesus

Your name is a light that the shadows can't deny
Your name cannot be overcome
Your name is alive forever lifted high
Your name cannot be overcome
A few more songs came to mind after I woke up this morning, along with the words that spoke to me. These songs have also frequented my wee hours over the past week or so.


When You move, darkness runs for cover
When You move, no one's turned away
Because where You are, fear turns into praises
Where You are, no heart's left unchanged
So come move, let justice roll on like a river
Let worship turn into revival
Lord, lead us back to You
I raise a hallelujah, with everything inside of me
I raise a hallelujah, I will watch the darkness flee
I raise a hallelujah, in the middle of the mystery
I raise a hallelujah, fear you lost your hold on me!
I'm gonna sing, in the middle of the storm
Louder and louder, you're gonna hear my praises roar
Up from the ashes, hope will arise
Death is defeated, the King is alive!


These are only a few of thousands of songs written to bring glory to God. Repetition is the key to memorizing anything and music makes memorizing easier. The more we listen to God-honoring Christian music, the more truth we store deep down inside. 
  • Truth that can comfort and encourage us when we need it. 
  • Truth that wells up from our spirits when our natural mind is overwhelmed. 
  • Truth that greets us in the morning when we're not awake enough to have a conscious thought.
So today's MultiColor Monday celebrates the gifted and diverse Christian artists that use their talent to glorify God and build up His body. They provide nourishment for our spirits and souls, all we have to do is come to their tables and fill up!

...whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].  (Philippians 4:8 AMP)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your G-rated comments!